Breast Augmentation | Saline & Gel Implants with 3D Virtual Imaging Consultations
Breast Augmentation or Breast Enlargement is one of the primary procedures performed by Dr. Lewis J. Obi at The Obi Plastic Surgery Center.
When considering breast augmentation in Jacksonville, be sure to consider Dr. Obi's 40+ years of experience, our on-site, licensed Ambulatory
Surgical Center and exquisite private recovery rooms, as well as the care you will receive before and after your procedure from Dr. Obi and his
experienced medical team. After discussing your breast augmentation one-on-one with Dr. Obi, and seeing our fully equipped medical center,
and learning of the advanced techniques Dr. Obi uses such as skin tightening lasers, fat transfer and insertion of the implants at the areola to
reduce the possibility of nerve damage and scaring, you'll quickly understand why so many patients select Dr. Obi to be their surgeon. We look
forward to discussing how these and other specialized and advanced breast augmentation techniques can provide you the best over all option
for breast reconstruction, breast implant replacement and breast augmentation in Jacksonville.
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Adivive for Breasts
- » Adivive Costs
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Enlargement
- Breast Implants
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reconstruction
- Breast Reduction
- Adivive for The Face
- » Adivive Costs
- Botox Injections
- Brow Lift | Forehead Lift
- Eyelid Surgery|Blepharoplasty
- Face Lift | Rhytidectomy
- Juvederm Injections
- Nose Surgery | Rhinoplasty
- Non Invasive Facelift
- OPERA Lift
- Platlet Rich Plasma Therapy
- Radiesse Filler
- » SlimLipo Costs
- » Hyperhidrosis
- Skin Cancer Removal
- Tummy Tuck | Abdominoplasty
Breast Augmentation & Breast Implants in Jacksonville, Florida
Jacksonville Breast Augmentation & Breast Implant Center. Featuring the most advanced techniques including the new Gummy Bear Implants.
Breast Augmentation and Breast Implants, clinically known as "augmentation mammoplasty", is a surgical procedure where gel implants such as the newly FDA approved "Gummy Bear Implant" or traditional saline breast implants of varying shapes and sizes are used to enhance a woman’s breasts. Breast Augmentation is a procedure generally chosen by women to enlarge and reshape their breasts for a variety of personal and sometimes medical reasons.
Some of the reasons one might chose
- To balance a difference in breast size or position.
- A woman might feel her breast are too small or not proportional to the rest of her body.
- To correct a reduction in breast volume after pregnancy.
- For breast reconstruction.
We would be pleased to help you learn and completely understand the variety of options available today for breast augmentation in Jacksonville. If you feel breast enlargement surgery may be for you, and are ready to learn more about breast enlargement options, we encourage you to schedule a free consultation using the Plastic Surgery & Cosmetic Surgery Request Form in the right column of this page. Dr. Obi will in response to your reasons for considering breast augmentation, explain how you might personally benefit from breast augmentation and share with you the special techniques Dr. Obi performs during breast augmentation surgery to help you achieve truly stunning results.
During your consultation, you will learn the benefits of Dr. Obi inserting the implant at the center of the breast, at the areola to avoid loss of sensitivity and feeling rather than incisions beside or under the breast that can and often damage nerve trunks which can cause the breast to be less sensitive or even numbness of the breast or nipple. Dr. Obi will also share information with you about how the ICON Skin tightening laser can help refine tighten and lift your breast without surgery. You may even wish to discuss the benefits of fat transfer breast augmentation. Whatever your reasons for breast augmentation, you need to know that your surgeon has both the experience to perform the techniques and procedures you feel are right for you and the advanced facilities, on site equipment and surgical team to deliver the best possible results. You will find your consultation very informative and we hope it helps you make the best decision for you.
Exactly How Breast Implant Surgery Works
By inserting a breast implant behind each breast, Dr. Obi is able to increase a woman’s bust line to their desired shape and size - whatever that may be. Dr. Obi will discuss your best options for your breast enlargement - this includes breast implant type and size - during your initial consultation.
During your initial consultation, you and Dr. Obi will discuss:
- The size of your breast implant: The cup size you seek to achieve.
- What type of breast implant you prefer and the benefits of each. Dr. Obi uses both Gel and Saline implants.
- What to expect before, during and after your breast augmentation.
- And fully address any questions or concerns that you may have about your augmentation surgery.
Things to Consider Before Your Breast Enlargement Surgery
Is Breast Augmentation Right For Me?
Breast augmentation will definitely enhance your appearance and quite possibly your self-confidence, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal, or cause other people to treat you differently.
- Think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with Dr. Obi.
- A great candidate for breast enlargement surgery is a woman who is looking for improvement, not perfection.
- Healthy and realistic expectations will make you a good candidate for breast implants.
Types of Breast Implants used for Augmentation
There are two types of breast implants used to perform breast enlargements: silicone gel implants or saline implants (a saltwater solution).
Gel Breast Implants (also know as Gummy Bear Implants)
The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has recently approved gel-filled breast implants for use in the United States. As a result of this recent approval and due to Dr. Lewis Obi's involvement with Natrelle, the developers of the 410 “Gummy Bear” Breast Implant, Dr. Obi is pleased to have been the first plastic surgeon in Jacksonville to actually perform surgeries using the Natrelle "Gummy Bear" breast implant. This new implant is engineered to be a more naturally shaped implant. It is also designed to hold its shape through a new advanced silicone “gel” technology - (which is how and why it has earned its “Gummy Bear” nick-name). The silicone gel delivers another significant benefit in that it holds its more natural looking shape and fullness and stays in place.
The Gummy Bear breast implant has been available in Europe for more than 15 years. During that time it has achieved outstanding marks both from patient approval ratings and with a very low reoperation rate compared to traditional round silicone or saline filled implants. This is due largely to the texture of the Gummy Bear implant, which over 7 years of observation has been shown to cause less 'Capsular Contracture" or tightening of scar tissue than traditional round silicone implants.
Saline Breast Implants
Saline-filled breast implants continue to be available to breast augmentation (also known as enlargement) plastic surgery patients on an unrestricted basis. Once you've scheduled your consultation, you should ask Dr. Obi more about the specifics of the FDA decisions regarding breast implants for enlargement plastic surgery.
Risks That May Be Associated With Breast Enhancement Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery is relatively straight-forward. But as with any operation, there are risks associated with augmentation surgery and specific complications associated with this procedure.
- Capsular Contracture: The most common problem reported from breast enlargement plastic surgery is capsular contracture. It occurs if the scar or capsule around the breast implant begins to tighten. This squeezing of the soft implant can cause the breast to feel hard. Capsular contracture can be treated in several ways, and sometimes requires either removal or “scoring" of the scar tissue, or perhaps removal or replacement of the breast implant.
- Excessive Bleeding: As with any surgical procedure, excessive bleeding may follow the breast augmentation plastic surgery operation may cause some swelling and pain. If excessive bleeding continues, another cosmetic surgery operation may be needed to control the bleeding and/or remove the accumulated blood.
- Infections: A small percentage of women develop an infection around a breast implant following the breast augmentation plastic surgery procedure. This may occur at any time, but is most often seen within a week after your breast enlargement plastic surgery. In some cases, the breast implant may need to be removed for several months until the infection clears. A new breast implant can then be inserted after the infection clears.
- Oversensitive Nipples: Some women report that their nipples become oversensitive, under sensitive, or even numb. You may also notice small patches of numbness near your breast augmentation incisions. These symptoms usually disappear within time, but may be permanent in some breast enlargement plastic surgery patients.
- Fertility Issues: There is no evidence that breast implants will affect fertility, pregnancy, or your ability to nurse. If, however, you have nursed a baby within the year before breast enlargement plastic surgery, you may produce milk for a few days after the breast augmentation plastic surgery. This may cause some discomfort, but can be treated with medication prescribed by your plastic surgeon, Dr. Obi.
- Breast Implant Rupture: Occasionally, breast implants may break or leak. Rupture can occur as a result of injury or even from the normal compression and movement of your breast and implant, causing the man-made shell to leak. If a saline-filled breast implant breaks, the implant will deflate in a few hours and the salt water will be harmlessly absorbed by the body.
To learn more about complications or health concerns associated with breast augmentation, contact Obi Plastic Surgery clinic and schedule your appointment with Dr. Obi.
Planning Your Breast Augmentation Surgery
In your initial breast augmentation plastic surgery consultation, Dr. Obi will evaluate your health and explain which breast enhancement surgical techniques are most appropriate for you, based on the condition of your breasts and skin tone. If your breasts are sagging, he may also recommend a breast lift.
During your consultation, be sure to:
- Discuss your breast enhancement expectations frankly – you need to be honest and up front about what you’re expecting. Dr. Obi will be as equally as frank with you.
- Tell Dr. Obi if you smoke, take any medications, vitamins or other drugs. These details are very important for the preparation of your breast enhancement surgery.
Dr. Obi will also discuss:
- the type of anesthesia to be used for your breast implant surgery.
- more about the Samuel Wells Surgicenter where your breast enhancement surgery will be performed. The Samuel Wells Surgicenter is Obi Plastic Surgery Clinic’s very own state-licensed ambulatory center for outpatient surgical procedures.
- costs associated with breast augmentation surgery.
- financing solutions.
Getting Prepped for Your Breast Enlargement Plastic Surgery
Dr. Obi will provide you with a detailed checklist of things you must do before your breast augmentation surgery. Here are a few things you can expect to do while in preparation for your enhancement surgery:
- Guidelines on eating, smoking, drinking, vitamins and medications.
- Driving arrangements before your surgery – you will need someone to drive you home after your breast augmentation surgery. You may even need them to help you with day-to-day functions in the days following your breast enlargement.
Types of Breast Enlargement Methods
The method of inserting and positioning your breast implant will depend on your anatomy and Dr. Obi’s recommendation.
The incision can be made either in the crease where the breast meets the chest, around the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple), or in the armpit.
Every effort will be made to assure that the incision is placed so resulting scars will be as inconspicuous as possible.
Working through the incision, Dr. Obi will lift your breast tissue and skin to create a pocket, either directly behind the breast tissue or underneath your chest wall muscle (the pectoral muscle). The implants are then centered beneath your nipples.
The breast implant may be inserted directly under the breast tissue or beneath the chest wall muscle.
Some surgeons believe that putting the implants behind your chest muscle may reduce the potential for capsular contracture. This placement may also interfere less with breast examination by mammogram than if the implant is placed directly behind the breast tissue. Placement behind the muscle however, may be more painful for a few days after surgery than placement directly under the breast tissue.
You’ll want to discuss the pros and cons of these alternatives with Dr. Obi before surgery to make sure you fully understand the implications of the procedure he recommends for you.
The surgery usually takes one to two hours to complete. Stitches are used to close the incisions, which may also be taped for greater support. A compressive bandage may be applied over your breasts to help with healing.
After surgery, breasts appear fuller and more natural in tone and contour. Scars will fade with time.
Following Your Breast Surgery
You’re likely to feel tired and sore for a few days following your surgery, but you’ll be up and around in 24 to 48 hours. Most of your discomfort can be controlled by medication prescribed by Dr. Obi.
Within several days, the compressive bandage will be removed, and you will be given a surgical bra. You should wear it as directed by Dr. Obi . You may also experience a burning sensation in your nipples for about two weeks, but this will subside as bruising fades.
Your stitches will come out in a week to 10 days, but the swelling in your breasts may take three to five weeks to disappear.
Life & Daily Routines Following Your Breast Augmentation
You should be able to return to work within a few days, depending on the level of activity required for your job.
Follow Dr. Obi 's advice on when to begin exercises and normal activities. Your breasts will probably be sensitive to direct stimulation for two to three weeks, so you should avoid much physical contact. After that, breast contact is fine once your breasts are no longer sore, usually three to four weeks after surgery.
Your scars will be firm and pink for at least six weeks. Then they may remain the same size for several months, or even appear to widen. After several months, your scars will begin to fade, although they will never disappear completely.
Routine mammograms should be continued after breast augmentation for women who are in the appropriate age group, although the mammographic technician should use a special technique to assure that you get a reliable reading, as discussed earlier.
Your New Look
For many women, the result of breast augmentation can be satisfying, even exhilarating, as they learn to appreciate their fuller appearance.
Regular examination by Dr. Obi and routine mammograms for those in the appropriate age groups at prescribed intervals will help assure that any complications, if they occur, can be detected early and treated.
Your decision to have breast augmentation is a highly personal one that not everyone will understand. The important thing is how you feel about it. If you’ve met your goals, then your surgery is a success.
Breast Enlargement Photo Gallery
Click here to view our Breast Enlargement & Breast Augmentation Photo Gallery.
And be sure to contact our cosmetic surgery center to schedule a consult with us!
Other Surgical Procedures of the Breast
You May Also Be Interested In...
other breast procedures related or performed in conjunction with breast enlargements.
» Breast Lift/ Mastoplex
» Breast Reconstruction/ Mastectomy
» Breast Reduction/ Mammoplasty
Related Breast Augmentation Articles
Obi Plastic Surgery provides these articles about breast augmentation as a purely informational service. The opinions expressed in these articles should be considered on an individual reader basis. If you have questions regarding a breast augmentation procedure, you should contact our plastic surgery office and speak with Dr. Obi personally.